*** Wednesday, November 19, 2014
at 6:30 pm in the MLC Auditorium ***
Also at the meeting:
- Membership Year Pins to be Distributed to Working Members Celebrating the November Anniversary of Their 15, 20, or 25-Years as Union Members - names will be posted soon
- Swearing in 15 new members:
Iveta Alexander #41822
Dan Piskacek #41824
Igor Zhurikhin #41825
Allen Tonkin #41826
Jeremy Ferraro #41827
Allan Constable #41830
Fred Stepanic #41831
Lance Cassells #41832
Don Mathies #37938
Andrew Stannus #41833
Paul DaSilveira #41836
Marc Gendron #41837
Laurence Gosselin #41839
Jatinderpal Aujla #41842
Robert Kelly #38542
- None yet
Local 500 Elections Just Around the Corner -- Nominations NOW OPEN
- Nominations for Local 500 Officers open on Monday, October 20, 2014, 8 am.
- Click here to view the full list of open positions and details on balloting, the advance poll and the travelling ballot box.
- Balloting will take place on Thursday and Friday, November 27 and 28, 2014 from 6 am to 6 pm at the Local 500 Office and at the Despatch Hall.
Daylight Savings Time Ends Sunday, November 2, 2014 @ 2:00 am - Click Here
Are you a registered Longshore worker who is a certified electrician but the rating's not on your plate? - Click Here
"R" Board Waiting Pool Despatch Rules - Click Here
Things you need to know if you are off work on Sick Benefits, WCB, Sick etc....
- What you need to know to ensure that you don't have problems down the line. It is your responsibility - click here
Referendum Ballot on Proposed Changes to Pension Plan - RESULTS ARE IN
Results from one-day vote held January 22, 2014 are in:
1223 votes cast between Locals 500, 502, 505, 508, 519.
727 voted yes
496 voted no
Proposed changes ratified by 59.4%
To review the proposed changes, click here.
Facts on the proposed changes to the Pension Plan, click here.
Industrial Fatality at Vanterm, December 2013
- On December 26, 2013, "OO" Board Casual Sukhvinder Kalsi #44661 was fatally injured at TSI Vanterm when he fell on the rail hitting his head. He was removed from life support on December 30.
- As a low board casual, Mr. Kalsi was not covered under the ILWU/Waterfront Employers of BC Health and Benefit Plan.
- Local 500 extends its sympathy to the family, friends and coworkers of Mr. Kalsi.
- A trust fund has been established to assist the Kalsi Family.
- Donations can be made at any Vancity branch to: The Kalsi Family Trust.
Trust Funds Established
- 2 trust funds have been set up to assist longshore families who recently experienced tragic circumstances.
- Both trusts are at Vancity.
- Donations can be made at any branch to:
- THE KALSI FAMILY TRUST
- THE PASKALL FAMILY TRUST
Job Postings, Category Increases, Rotations, Trainers, Training (NOT Open to The General Public, Registered Longshore Workers only)
- Applications are in the Union Office.
- These postings are ONLY open to registered Longshore workers, not the general public.
NEW JOB POSTINGS
- New Jobs closing October 30, 2014 @ 3 pm - Click Here
- Successful applicants for Category Increases posting which closed on October 23, 2014 as follows: (to be input)
- October 3 rotation closing October 30, 2014 @ 5 pm - Click Here
- TSI Container Dock Labour Safety Training (ongoing) apply @ Despatch Hall with the Despatch Coordinators - Click Here
IKEA Lockout - Click here for details
What You Should Know
- Funeral Notices: Local 500 members who recently passed away.
- Your Collective Agreement - April 1, 2010 to March 31, 2018 click here
- Statutory Holidays - make them work for you. Use the calendar link below to ensure you get paid for all the stats that you are entitled to. Use your BCMEA vacation days to help you if you need them. Yearly Statutory Holiday Calendar
- Becoming a Union Member in the near future? Past Service Pension Adjustment (PSPA)
- Do you have a Painter's rating? click here
- Do you have an Interprovincial Certified Electrician's Ticket? click here
- Trades and Apprenticeship Report January 2013 click here
- Travel Cards - Important: As of October 23, 2012 Travel Cards will no longer be renewed until further notice. Click for bulletin
- Local 500 Young Workers' Group - any Longshore workers aged 35 and under are encouraged to participate in the Group. Contact the office.
- The Duty to Accomodate - what you should know.
- Despatch Hall Rules - reminder
- Working While Under Suspension It'll cost you - click here.
Declaration of Availability
I.V.R. Telephone System
For the Day Despatch (6:45)
For the Night Despatch (15:00)
For the Graveyard Despatch (16:00)
For the 05:45 Despatch (17:45)
To Contact ILWU Despatch Coordinator: (604) 216-0356
Union Dues Receipts
- Dues receipts for 2013 will be available for pick up in the Local 500 office from February 20, 2014 onwards.
- This includes all Union Members and Casuals on the A, B, and C Boards as well as any low board casuals who were on the Regular Work Force (RWF).
ILWU/BCMEA Benefits and Pension (WIPP)
Your TRUST Benefits - Click Here
- Your Passwaord Is "longshore#1"
Health & Welfare, Pension, OFA's and WCB Information
- Great West Life covers prescriptions as of January 1.
- Pacific Blue Cross no longer covers prescriptions for Longshore workers or retirees.
- Read the following letter to understand what you'll need to change at your pharmacy. click here
- Dental is still administered by Employee Services (not Great West Life) 604-689-7184.
- When you visit your dentist, their office will provide you with a completed Standard Dental Claim Form.
- When they ask for your Employee ID number give them your work #.
WEEKLY INDEMNITY INFORMATION
- Read up on benefit amount, waiting period, benefit period, etc., and how LTD works.
- Click for bulletin
HEALTH & WELFARE, AND PENSION BENEFIT INFO NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE
- Active and retired Members can access information, and download forms, in respect to their Health & Benefit Plan and Industry Pension Plan Dental.
- Go online to www.longshoreplans.ca - your password is longshore#1(no spaces).
- Should you require any of forms listed below, you should contact Employee Services at 604-689-7184, 4th floor, 349 Railway Street, Vancouver:
- Weekly indemnity
- Credited time (granted time)
- Vision care
- Extended health benefits (EHB)
- or you can access these forms online -- see directions above.
OFA (OCCUPATIONAL FITNESS ASSESSMENT) FORM
- Should you be temporarily unable to perform your regular work duties, you may be able to have restrictions put on your plate that will allow you to turn down jobs or not be despatched to particular work without being penalized.
- IMPORTANT - Print the bulletin detailing how the OFA form should be filled out and take it with you to your doctor - click for bulletin.
- Print the OFA form and have your doctor complete it - click for form.
- Once completed, bring it back to the Local 500 office and see the Secretary Treasurer who will complete the remainder of the necessary paperwork.
WORKSAFEBC TELECLAIM GUIDELINES (previously WCB)
- At some point in your work career, you may be injured on the job.
- To ensure that your claim for WorkSafeBC (previously known as WCB) benefits are processed in a timely fashion, please read the attached bulletin.
- It outlines your obligations in respect to filing your claim read bulletin
- Plus keep in mind the Granted Time REQUIREMENT for WCB
- Read what you should do if you get a Notice to Participate Letter from WorkSafeBC (WCB)
WATERFRONT INDUSTRY PENSION PLAN
- Click here for bulletin dated July 2013 - provides up to date changes in both your Pension Plan and additional benefits provided through CPP and OAS to assist you in your overall retirement planning.
UBC STUDY TO PREVENT BREAST CANCER IN SHIFT WORKERS
- Women shift workers exposed to light at night are at increased risk for breast cancer.
- You may be eligible to participate in a UBC sleep program that may help improve your quality of life.
- click here for details
ILWU Local 500 Pensioners
MEETINGS: 1st Thursday of each month (except July & August)
TIME: 10:30 am
PLACE: Maritime Labour Centre, 1880 Triumph Street, Vancouver
- Pensioners from all Locals are welcome to participate.
- Keep in touch with past brothers and sisters that you worked with and haven't seen for a long period of time.
- Renew old friendships.
- Keep up to date on the Union's activities with reports from the officers of ILWU Canada and Local 500 with periodic reports from the Union Pension and Benefits Trustees.
- Stay healthy, participate.
- The meetings last from an hour to an hour and a half and are usually very informative.
President: Mike Marino
Vice President: Len Meneghello
Secretary Treasurer: Barry Campbell
- The Local 500 Pensioners have instituted a Scholarship Program.
- These two (2) $1000 Scholarships (the Pensioners Scholarship and the Bill Kemp Memorial Scholarship) are offered to the sons, daughters and dependents of active Members in good standing of Local 500.
- To view the scholarship policy and form, click here.
- Deadline to apply: October 31 of the current year.
(Applications are available in the Local 500 office).
WINNERS ANNOUNCED - The following 2 individuals were the successful recipients of this year's Pensioners Scholarships as selected at the November 20, 2013 Membership Meeting.
- Stephanie Coccia (daughter of Local 500 Member David Coccia #30202) was the winner of the "Bill Kemp Memorial Scholarship."
- Kimberley Sunder (daughter of Local 500 Member Randy Sunder#40795) was the winner of the "ILWU Pensioners Scholarship."
The next scheduled Statutory Holiday(s) is/are:
Remembrance Day is/are "Recognized Holidays" in the Collective Agreement and work may be performed on this/these day(s) in accordance with the provisions of the Agreement.
Upcoming / Ongoing Events:
FOOD BANK COLLECTIONS
As part of our ongoing commitment to our community, Local 500 will continue to collect non-perishable food items (canned soup, canned fish/meats, baby food, diapers, etc.) at its monthly membership meetings. Please help out.
Local 500 Drop-In Hockey
$15 drop in fee (starts again Sept 30/14)
click here for info
Information of Interest:
FATAL ACCIDENT AT VANTERM (TSI), DECEMBER 26, 2013 -- SUKHVINDER S KALSI #44661
"OO" Board Casual Sukhvinder Kalsi was fatally injured at Vanterm on December 26, 2014 when he fell on the rail hitting his head. He was removed from life support on December 30.
FATAL ACCIDENT AT LYNN WEST (SEABOARD), MAY 19, 2010 -- KEVIN LOWES #39862
Regular work force Heavy Duty Mechanic Kevin Lowes was fatally injured when the pontoon dock he was operating a heavy lift truck on collapsed trapping the 40T under the dock.
FATAL ACCIDENT AT LYNN WEST (SEABOARD), JANUARY 13, 2009 -- CHERYL MUSCROFT #40848
While delivering bundles of pipe to trucks, Checker Cheryl Muscroft was fatally injured when the pile of pipe gave way and rolled onto her. Emergency response by everyone was excellent. Cheryl was taken to Lion's Gate Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries.
THE HARRY BRIDGES PROJECT
"There will always be a place for us somewhere, somehow, as long as we see to it that working people struggle on, fight for everything they have, everything they hope to get, for dignity, equality, democracy, to oppose war and to bring to the world a better life." (Harry Bridges 1901 - 1990)
Learn about the Harry Bridges Project
ILWU LOCAL 10 DRILL TEAM
The ILWU Local 10 Drill Team presents a different image of dockworkers at parades and other events. Members of the San Francisco Local dazzle crowds with a routine that is part Riverdance, part Marine Corps march.
Click to read more and view video.
TOMMY DOUGLAS: THE GREATEST CANADIAN
One of Tommy Douglas's most enduring pieces of oratory is the story of Mouseland.
It has inspired generations of social activists and progressive leaders alike. Get Inspired